Member Login: Enter Member # or UserID: Password:
Click here to have your log-in information emailed to you

AABP Foundation

Follow us on Facebook

Online CE Opportunities
BCI Online Continuing Education

Search Vetlexicon Bovis

AABP Timely News



AABP will provide grants of up to $1000 to support veterinary students who complete an externship of at least two weeks in bovine practice. The funds are intended to help defray travel and associated expenses incurred on the externship.

The student must be a student AABP member before applying for the externship. Please note that it can take up to three business days to process your membership dues. At least one veterinarian in the practice must be an AABP member. The student should submit:

  1) Complete the online form Externship Application Form (application will open in May), including dates of expected externship, practice where it is to take place, projected costs support to be provided by the practice, and amount of aid requested. Also include the student's career interests, prior experience with food producing animals, and goals for the externship.

This form must be completed online to be considered for a grant.

Applications can be reviewed/edited until the deadline.

  2) A letter from the practice describing the practice, describing what the student will be doing and stating what the housing arrangements will be for the student. The practice letter should also state which veterinarian(s) in the practice are AABP members.

  3) A letter from a faculty member (who is also an AABP member) at the student's veterinary college with an assessment of the student's demonstrated interest in food animal practice.

  Incomplete applications will not be considered or returned. It is the responsiblity of the student to ensure letters from the practice and faculty member are submitted by the deadline. If letters are not submitted, the application is incomplete and will not be evaluated.

Applicants must be full time veterinary students at a US, Canadian, or Caribbean veterinary college. Successful applicants will be asked to submit a short report on the externship at the end.

Funds will be disbursed in two installments, the first 50% before the externship is to commence, and the balance upon successful completion.

Applications must be completed online, and the release agreement emailed to

The student extern must sign a release, releasing AABP from liability associated with the externship activities, prior to commencing any activities connected with the externship, including travel.

Insurance and liability information:

Professional liability: If the student's supervising veterinarians are insured for professional liability through the AVMA PLIT, preceptor coverage can be purchased for $10. This is an endorsement to the veterinarian's policy and basically duplicates the policy limits for the student. The student in question must be a SCAMVA member and be attending an accredited veterinary college. Veterinarians with Canadian VMA or other professional liability coverage should check with their insurance carrier. It is strongly recommended that students have professional liability coverage in place.

AABP suggests that all practices and students contact their insurance carrier or workers compensation insurance carrier to decrease liability to the practice if a student is injured while working for the practice. The AVMA PLIT and some state VMA's provide resources to decrease your risk and your client's risk of liability. These can include a liability waiver for all students, appropriate oversight of students, discussion and training on safety when working with animals, and obtaining insurance through your insurance carrier.

Some veterinary colleges extend their insurance coverage for work-related injuries to students on externships. Students should verify coverage with their college administration.

APPLICATION DEADLINES: October 1 for externships commencing between November 1 and April 30 of each year and April 1 for externships commencing between May 1 and October 31 of each year.

YOUR APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE: 1. A completed Externship Application Form. 2. A letter of intent describing your career interests, prior experience with food-producing animals, and goals for the externship. 3. A letter from the practice describing what you will be doing and stating what the housing arrangements will be for the student. 4. A letter from a faculty member at your veterinary college with an assessment of your demonstrated interest in food animal practice. 5. A completed Release Agreement.


© The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the
American Association of Bovine Practitioners. All rights reserved.